Single in the Ghetto

This is the true story of a single unemployed-by-choice mom who lives with her pseudo-boyfriend Joel and their toddler son Tyson in a trailer park near Denver, Colorado. She is highly educated and a bit too glamorous for her current neighborhood, but the situation is hilarious and tragic at the same time. Will ghetto life make her humble and sympathetic to her "manufactured housing community" neighbors or will it just make her even more snobbish? A blog about life in general.

Name:
Location: near Denver, Colorado, United States

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Why Joel is a Jackass part 1

This is just going to be a stream of conciousness kind of writing, so here goes...

These are just some red flags very early in the relationship that I really should have paid closer attention to. In May 2004 when I was still living in Smalltown Cali, Joel made arrangements for me to fly to Denver to visit him one weekend. He had me on three-way conversation with United Airlines, and at first I couldn't believe he was actually going to foot the bill for the trip. Well, he was just using one of his free flying certificates or something like that. But the point is, I heard him give his address to the agent, and I thought I knew it because I had looked it up online one time to send him a card, which he received, but then I heard him say "Number 468." What the hell is that? I thought he lived in a house. He was always talking about his house.

When we were done with the United agent, I asked him, "Ummm... what's 468?" He said it's a lot number. I remember a feeling of chilliness going through me. A LOT NUMBER? I asked him if he lived in a trailer park. "A manufactured housing community," he said. I remember feeling angry. This is the first time I'm finding out about all this. I felt deceived. And yet I visited anyway, and here I am today. And for God's sake: It is a trailer park!

Another reason he's a jackass is because he hid the real nature of "his business" from me for so long. He never came out and told me it was Amway (now repackaged as Quixtar, same shit, different name). I eventually figured it out on my own, but that's just another red flag. Who really believes that they'll get rich off of that crap? Another thing I should have paid attention to before moving out here. This whole "business" thing has been a real source of contention for us over the years. When Ty was two or three weeks old, Joel insisted he had to go to Portland, Oregon for a function, a "family reunion" they call it. I am still angry and bitter that he left me with a newborn by myself for three days while he went to this stupid thing. The good news now is, I believe he's finally quit the idiotic "business" to concentrate on school. But still, if anyone ever tells you he's involved in Quixtar, run! Run away fast! It means they are stupid.

One final thought for today: Joel convinced me to "move myself" when it was time to pack up my home in Cali and go to Denver. I had called a few movers to get quotes; all were from out of town and all sounded very suspicious. I wanted to go with the local United Van Lines to pack me up, but of course being June 2004, they were already booked solid. Joel told me over the phone: "Just get a U-haul. Do your own move. You need to relate to other people." I remember feeling so angry with him. In retrospect of course, I should have to told him to Fuck Off, I'm not moving after all. But I so desperately wanted to change my life, and I thought changing locations would do it. I wanted to go somewhere where I knew someone.

I reserved a U-haul but one never appeared because everyone was leaving the state with them and no one was moving to the central coast to bring them in. I ended up calling Shady Moving Company which came and got my stuff, leading to a whole big mess which is another story entirely.